When installing software on an AIX system the most effective method is to use smitty, the System Management Interface Tool. For this example I have used VIM, as the program being installed. Also, prior to installation I downloaded the VIM for AIX packages I wanted to install. Here is a step by step guide on how to install software such as VIM on AIX Once you have logged into your AIX system.
1. Type smitty and hit enter.
2. Select Software Installation and Maintenance
3. Select Install and Update Software
4. Select Install Software
5. in the INPUT device / directory for software area type the path to the device or file where the installation file is stored for example /tmp/vim/instmedia
6. In the area next to Software to install the default is all_latest you can leave the default set unless you would like to install one specific package. If so type esc 4 to list all available packages that can also be installed.
7. Arrow down to ACCEPT new license agreements? and tab to yes hit <enter> (by default this option is no)
After the install has finished hit esc 3 until you have completely exited out of smitty repeat as needed.